Home        About        Adventure Education          Resources for Students        Parent Resources       Information

Monday, March 3, 2014

Books, Books, Books

It is time for new book collections from the library. The Henry and Mudge books were so popular that I decided to stick with that same author, Cynthia Rylant (one of my all time favorites). She also has a series about Annie and Snowball. Annie is Henry's cousin and has a pet rabbit named Snowball. While these books look like they might be written for girls, they appeal to both boys and girls, just like the Henry and Mudge series does (especially since Henry and Mudge make frequent guest appearances in the Annie and Snowball series). Both series are filled with sweet stories of childhood that first graders can really relate to easily.


The other series that I chose was Mr. Putter and Tabby series, also by Cynthia Rylant. This series is about the adventures of a retired gentleman named Mr. Putter and his cat Tabby. I am always surprised by how much first graders enjoy this series. I think they see Mr. Putter as a "grandpa" figure and enjoy reading the stories of his adventures. Many of his adventures include his next door neighbor, Mrs. Teaberry and her dog, Zeke, so the books can sometimes feel like Henry and Annie from the previous series have grown up. Again, this series has very sweet stories that first graders enjoy.


As I was laying these books out to take a picture of them for this post, I mentioned to my daughter that there were some new Annie and Snowball books. Of course, since she is now 14, I got the classic response of "Mo-om!" But then I noticed that she was hovering around looking over my shoulder to check out the new titles. As I was piling the books up she asked if she could read a few and explained that it was okay to read them even though she was too old for them. She said it would bring back memories for her. So I had to take the picture below to share with the crew.

I have told the crew that Henry and Mudge books were a huge favorite of Abby's when she was little. I told them that she collected the entire series but that I couldn't bring her copies to school for them to read because she was saving them to give to her kids when she grows up. I told them that she had the baskets of her favorite books on the top shelf of her closet to save for the future. So this weekend I finally remembered to take a picture to show the crew.

Abby's collections of Henry and Mudge books, Ready Freddy books and Gus and Grandpa books waiting to be given to her children in the future.

I also picked up some great books for us to use as we learn more about worms along with some worm books that are just for fun.












Our newest read aloud will feature worms, too. It will be Marty Mcguire Digs Worms. This book is perfect for reading aloud as it is just a little beyond the reach of most readers in our crew. Good read aloud choices are books that are just a bit above where students are currently reading. Their listening comprehension develops earlier than their reading comprehension and this gives them some practice in thinking about higher level concepts. There are other Marty Mcguire books in the series if you are looking for a good book to read aloud to your child.


Homework
Reading ~ Read a good book or two.
Math ~ Home Link 7.1 Practicing with Fact Triangles

Important Dates
3/5 Life is Art Artist Edition 4 - 7 pm at the school
3/15 Life is Art Adult Fundraiser 6 - 10 pm
Week of 3/17 to 3/21 Student Led Conferences - check our Sign Up Genius page for more details
Week of 3/17 to 3/21 Spring Climbing  in P.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment