Home        About        Adventure Education          Resources        Parent Resources       Information

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Differentiation

We are hitting that time of year when students become more aware of what other students around them are doing and not doing. Up to this point, they haven't really noticed when some students are doing different things than they are.

There are two reasons for this:
  1. The differentiations that I have been using have not been very easy for a first grader to spot but they are becoming a bit more obvious.
  2. They are becoming more aware of themselves and those around them and how they are the same and different.

I wanted to share with you how I deal with this so you it could help you in your discussions with your child at home. One day a while back I began a crew discussion by asking what day they all lost their first tooth. They looked at me with confusion and explained that they didn't all lose their first tooth on the same day and that some of them hadn't lost a tooth yet. I nodded and then asked them what day they all learned to ride a two-wheeled bike. This time a few of the crew figured out that I was making a point but others still needed to straighten me out and explain things to me. Just to be sure I asked one more question about what day they all learned to walk. Now they all laughed and decided that I was being silly. This is when I talked to them about how we all do things at different times and in different ways and that this is completely normal. I then began to talk about how this relates to learning to read, write and do math. I explained that we were all going to learn to do those things well but probably not on the exact same day. At the time, they seemed to understand - but understanding and feeling okay about that are two different things. We will continue to talk about this and how we all have different strengths and weaknesses but that we all continue to learn. You can help by reiterating this at home.

Homework
Reading ~ Read a good book or two.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I have noticed the same thing in my first grade class as well and I love how you explain this huge idea to them. I have not really had an issue with it until this year, but I have a new student who is VERY obviously behind my other students. I can tell she feels a bit uncomfortable. I can't wait to share this with her and the rest of my class next week. I hope it will make her feel a little better!

    ReplyDelete