Home        About        Adventure Education          Resources for Students        Parent Resources       Information

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Another Bonus Blog Post

Today in math we tried to solve a problem using a stack of cards numbered 1 through ten. I have embedded a video of the challenge below. If you get this post by email, you will need to go directly to the blog to view the video. So far no one in our crew has solved this challenge. You can try it, too, but please don't just tell your child how to do it. I want them to struggle for a few days and demonstrate some perseverance. When I showed them this challenge, they all said, "You put the cards in order." I said, Of course I did. That is the challenge - to put the cards in order so that you can solve this problem."  Most kids could get 1-5 to come up in the correct order and a few kids have been able to do 1-6. They will figure it out if they just keep trying.

I used a deck of cards from my house to demonstrate this challenge to the crew. They loved the pictures of my daughter on the backs of the cards. She was in first grade in these pictures. She is now 16 and I am sure that these pictures were just taken yesterday. Hang on, it all goes so quickly!


No comments:

Post a Comment